Nevada Historic Markers in Lander County
Nevada Historical Marker 66
US Route 50
Six Mile West of Austin
Site of the town of Jacobsville is one-half mile north. Founded on the banks of the Reese River in 1859 by George Washington Jacobs, who was the first sheriff of Lander County, farmer and businessman. It was the overland stage and mail station and became a Pony Express stop in 1860. In the early 60's it had a population of about 400 people and boasted of the first telegraph relay station, a post office, court house, three stores and two hotels.
It was the first county seat of Lander County, comprising practically all of northeastern Nevada. The county seat was moved to the more populated town of Austin the same year it was established in Jacobsville. The only remnants are a few stones used in the foundations. The Reese River, just west of here, was discovered by the exploring party of John Reese in 1854.
State Historical Marker No. 66
Nevada State Park System
Austin Chamber of Commerce
The Lincoln Highway, conceived in 1912 and formally dedicated October 31, 1913, was the first road to cross the United States. It ran from Times Square in New York City to Lincoln Park in San Francisco passing through thirteen states: New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, and California.
In 1925, the US Bureau of Public Roads eliminated named trails and highways, and Lincoln Highway became drab series of numbers: US 1, US 30, US 40, US 50.
One of the last actions of the Lincoln Highway Association before it closed, was to order the casting of 3,000 concrete markers, to dedicate the highway to the memory of Abraham Lincoln. A rectangular head on top of a hexagonal shaped post, the markers featured the Lincoln Highway logo, a bronze medallion and arrows to indicate the route of the memorial highway. The US Bureau of Public Roads allowed the placement of these markers along the length of the old highway.
Source: Lincoln Highway Association