National Register of Historic Places in Napa County
The Noyes Mansion, designed by Napa architect William H. Corlett, illustrates the popularity of the shingle style at the beginning of the 20th century. Compared to the Queen Anne style popular at the end of the 19th century, shingled residences relied less on detailing, had fewer contrasts in color and texture, and were more likely to display a horizontal orientation.
There were significant stylistic differences between shingle buildings on the east coast those in the San Francisco Bay Area where the style was commonly called the First Bay Tradition. The Noyes Mansion is derived from the east code model with its Colonial Revival features: symmetrical facade, entrance portico, classical details.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1992.
Frank Noyes, a Napa lumber dealer, built his residence in 1903 and lived here until 1956. The adjacent property was once a horse pasture.
After Noyes sold his home, it was used first as offices for the Napa Valley Unified School District then as a mix of offices and commercial enterprises.
Wine Spectator purchased the property in 2005 and restored it.