National Register of Historic Places in Mariposa County
The Wawona Covered Bridge spans the South Fork of the Merced River at the Pioneer Yosemite History Center in Wawona, Yosemite National Park. It was constructed by Galen Clark, original guardian of the Yosemite Grant, in 1868 to service local horse, stock and pedestrian traffic, as well as the trail to Yosemite Valley.
The structure is a modified Queen-post truss constructed with native woods braced by steel tie rods. The overall length of the structure is
130 feet, 4 inches. The overall width is 16 feet, 6 inches. A pair of longitudinal stringers spans between the trusses. The trusses and stringers
are supported by a system of seven transverse floor beams, or outriggers.
The covering structure, added in 1878, a decade after construction of the original bridge, has an internal frame with timber siding. The total height of the bridge is thirty feet, measured from the peak of the gable-roofed covering structure to the top of the transverse floor beams. The principal truss members are made of hand-hewn Ponderosa Pine; the vertical and diagonal elements of the truss are made of plain-sawn Douglas fir.
The property was meticulously rehabilitated in 1956, reusing all salvageable materials and replacing deteriorated materials in-kind, regarding species, dimension, and hand-hewn method of preparation. The bridge remains at its original location in the Wawona region.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination.Historic Covered Bridges in California
Historic Covered Bridges in Oregon