National Register of Historic Places in Sonoma County
From its completion in 1921 to its abandonment in the 1970s, Geyserville Union School served as a major social, cultural, and educational center for the town of Geyserville and the surrounding rural countryside. The building was the first poured concrete structure in Geyserville and is a fine example of a rather unusual method of construction so early in the twentieth century.
Architect Henry C. Smith's Mission Revival/Spanish Colonial Revival design represented the first break with the still locally prevailing late Victorian vernacular architecture. The Mission Revival/Spanish Colonial Revival style derived largely from the 1915 San Diego Fair and was quite popular in California by the 1920's. While numerous examples of this style are to be found in Southern California - especially Santa Barbara and Los Angeles - there are very few in Geyserville.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination dated 21 June 1979.