National Register of Historic Places in Sonoma County
The small town of Freestone is situated in a valley that extends from the Pacific Ocean, north through Valley Ford, Bodega and Freestone to the beginning of the redwood forest just south of the town of Occidental.
The Freestone House is located on Bohemian Highway in Freestone just south of the General Store at the junction of the road and the location of the old narrow gauge railroad bed. The building sits at the front of a large parcel of land and is quite visible at the bend of the road as it goes south past the General Store and the Firehouse.
The hotel is a simple Gothic Revival two story woodframe building. It was originally built in an L shape and has had minor additions in the rear. Before 1902 a balcony was added to break the severity of the facade. The three step wooden platform on the front two sides is original and has been restored.
The building is constructed with shiplap siding. Flat trim surrounds the six over six double hung sash windows. The entry doors on the lower floor are symmetrically placed and are embellished with stained glass. The side door entry has a single, paned door with colored glass side lights and transom.
The gabled roof has center gables in the two main sections of the front facades. The roof is trimmed with a plain cornice and wide frieze board. This board extends down the corners to the trim around the top of the platform.
The most outstanding feature of the building are the Gothic windows below the center gables. Composed of a central Gothic pointed arch glass door with narrower, shorter pointed arched windows at each side, they are topped with a label molding.
Although the original window balconies are gone, the added balcony around the front built before 1902 has become part of the historic fabric.
Quoted from the NRHP nomination dated 12 December 1978.