Historic Sites and Points of Interest in Sierra County
A marker on the front of the building reads:
Mackerman & Company Building
Constructed circa 1852. Joseph Mackerman used the building as home and brewery. Since that time the building housed a drug store, meat market and California's oldest weekly newspaper --- The Mountain Messenger. This fireproof building, with its iron doors, three foot thick walls and a four foot thick mud and brick ceiling is a fine example of Gold Rush architecture.
Dedicated August 28, 1982
Downie Chapter No. 1849
E Clampus Vitus
Gold Rush Stonemasons
Mining camps started as clusters of tents and other makeshift shelters. If the mine was productive, wooden buildings were erected and a town was born.
Conflagrations were a recurring curse. Often entire town were repeatedly destroyed by fire. Stonemasons, especially Italian immigrants from Liguria, began building "fire proof" banks and stores of stone or brick with iron doors and iron window shutters to protect the contents from fire.
Many of these stone buildings survive. Some of them, such as the Butte Store, are the sole reminders of a lost mining town.
Some of these buildings are: