Calaveras County Points of Interest
A marker on the front of the building reads:
Built about 1891 of local lava rock by James (Jim) Valente, a custom bootmaker and dealer in hats. His boots brought the then high price of $10.00 and wore well for years. After his demise his widow, Kate, continued the sales with aid of a son, Leo, who repaired boots. Three sons and a daughter survive the parents.
The family lived next door in a small house which was one of the oldest houses in town.
It was recently demolished.
Gold Rush Stonemasons
Mining camps started as clusters of tents and other makeshift shelters. If the mine was productive, wooden buildings were erected and a town was born.
Conflagrations were a recurring curse. Often entire town were repeatedly destroyed by fire. Stonemasons, especially Italian immigrants from Liguria, began building "fire proof" banks and stores of stone or brick with iron doors and iron window shutters to protect the contents from fire.
Many of these stone buildings survive. Some of them, such as the Butte Store, are the sole reminders of a lost mining town.
Some of these buildings are: