National Register of Historic Places in Douglas County
The Arendt Jensen Jr. house is a fine example of a craftsman bungalow built in a western town. Because the house remained in the hands of the original occupants for nearly sixty years, the structure has hardly changed since its construction in 1932.
The Jensens immigrated from Denmark to Gardnerville in the late 19th century. Danish immigrants were among the first to settle Carson Valley and Gardnerville became the social center for these new arrivals. Arendt Jensen took advantage of the growing economy and became a successful merchant and banker in town.
The Jensen Family played a significant role in the growth and prosperity of Gardnerville in the early 20th century. Many of the buildings they constructed, including their general store, the two bungalows on Eddie Street, and their mansion on Ezell Street still stand, providing a tangible reminder of the family's impact on the town.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1994.