Napa County Points of Interest
The David Perry Doak Mansion was designed by the San Francisco firm of Weeks & Day. John McLaren, who designed Golden Gate Park, landscaped the property which originally covered two thousand acres extending from the foothills of the Mayacamas Mountains to Highway 29.
Doak died in the House on February 26, 1921 shortly after its completion.
From 1930 to 1945, the property was empty and neglected. In 1945, rancher Martin Stelling bought the property to acquire the prime agricultural land. Stelling never lived in the house but caretakers prevented serious deterioration.
In 1955, Noel Sullivan purchased the vacant house and the surrounding property which had been reduced to twenty-nine acres. Sullivan donated the property to the Discalced Carmelites. When Sullivan died in 1956, he left a bequest to build the chapel.
The Oakville monastery served as the novitiate for the California region for many years. In 1981, when the novitiate was transferred to the San Jose monastery, Oakville was designated as a house of prayer and retreat center.
Source: Oakville Carmelite House of Prayer
The Doak Mansion was severely damaged by the 2014 South Napa Earthquake. The Carmelite chapel was spared any damage.
Ten Threatened Treasures in Napa County
This property was on a list of ten threatened historic properties compiled in 2015 by Napa County Landmarks: