Historic Sites and Points of Interest in Humboldt County
This Stick Eastlake building was built in 1898 for George W. Williams. It was designed by architect-carpenter Thomas J. Frost who designed and built many structures in Ferndale including the Masonic Hall on Francis Street.
The first business in the building was the New York Cash Store, a dry goods store owned by J. F. Atherton of Placerville. After a year, Atherton left Ferndale for Oroville. The Red Star Clothing Store moved in.
From 1936 to 1945, The Pittsburgh Paint Store occupied the ground level.
In 1945, the building was sold to Elmo Reidy who remodeled the interior into a candy shop and ice cream parlor. Hundreds of townspeople turned out for the opening to enjoy locally produced Golden State ice cream, Mill's candies, sandwiches and salads.
In 1951, the building was sold and renamed Brownlow's Cafe and Fountain which remained in business until 1992.
The George W. Williams Building contributes to the Ferndale Main Street Historic District which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993.
When we photographed the building in 2007, it was doing business as The Gazebo, a retail specialty shop.