California Historical Landmarks in Trinity County
California Historical Landmark 709
Weaverville Joss House
SR 299 and Oregon Street
Hundreds of Chinese miners came to the Weaverville area in the 1850s and prospered despite hardships, discrimination, and tax on foreign miners. The first house of worship burned in 1873; the Chinese continued their religious traditions in the present temple, dedicated April 18, 1874. Moon Lim Lee, trustee and grandson of one of its contributors, gift-deeded the "Temple Amongst the Forest Beneath the Clouds" to the State.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 709
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with Trinitarianus Chapter No. 63, E Clampus Vitus, July 4, 1980.
April 30, 1967