California Historical Landmarks in San Francisco
California Historical Landmark 696
Site of Western Headquarters of Russell, Majors, and Waddell
601 Montgomery Street at Clay Street
3 April 1860 - 26 October 1861
The Pony Express plaques are mounted on the Clay Street side of a highrise at 601 Montgomery Street between the stone columns shown in the foreground of the photograph next to the Mosser Financial Hotel.
In 1860, this spot was near the shoreline of the San Francisco Bay. Today, it is where Chinatown meets the Financial District.
These plaques placed on the site of the western business headquarters, April 3, 1963, by the Society of California Pioneers.
National Pony Express Centennial Association
Dwight D. Eisenhower - Chairman
Waddell F. Smith - President
The first pony express rider to reach San Francisco on the final relay, carrying mail from St. Joseph, Missouri to California, arrived in this city Apr. 14, 1860 aboard the river str. 'Antelope.' Led by a band and several engine companies, a concourse of citizens escorted the rider, mounted on his gayly decorated pony to the office of the Alta California Telegraph Company, headquarters of the Pony Express, which stood on this spot.
The Pony Express in operation from Apr. 3, 1860 to Oct. 26, 1861.
Medallion furnished by Oregon Trail Memorial Association.
Tablet placed by Historic Landmarks Committee, Native Sons of the Golden West, 1936.
Points of historical interest associated with Portsmouth Plaza and Gold Rush San Francisco: