National Register of Historic Places in San Mateo County
Southern Pacific constructed this station in 1888 to meet the needs of the new town of San Carlos. The use of the Richardsonian Romanesque Revival style of architecture was exceedingly rare for railroad depots in California. This style and the use of Almaden sandstone are strong links to Stanford University and its architect, Charles Coolidge, who may have designed this station.
The station has served as a church, post office, library and restaurant. It was designated a city landmark in 1976 and in 1984 it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Source: Centennial marker donated by the San Carlos Lions Club in 1988.Some Historic Railroad Depots in California