California Historical Landmarks in Sacramento County
California Historical Landmark 746
Coloma Road - Nimbus Dam
Hazel Avenue at Nimbus Dam
Alder Springs, south of this point, marks the old Coloma Road, running between Sutter's Fort and Cul-luh-mah (Coloma). Established in 1847, this road was used by James W. Marshall in January 1848 to bring the first gold from Sutter's Mill to the fort. Later, travelled [sic] by thousands to and from the diggings, it became the route of California's first stageline, established in 1849 by James E. Birch.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 746
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Sacramento County Historical Society and the Grand Parlors, Native Sons and Daughters of the Golden West, August 14, 1960.
Other Coloma Road historical markers are located at Sutter's Fort in Sacramento (California Landmark 745), in the town of Rescue (California Landmark 747), and in Marshall State Historic Park (California Landmark 748).
The Nimbus Dam, completed in 1955, is on the American River, about twenty-five miles downriver from the 1848 discovery of gold at Sutter's Mill on the South Fork of the river.