California Historical Landmarks in El Dorado County
California Historical Landmark 748
Gold Discovery Loop Trail
Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park
Here in the valley of the Cul-Luh-Mah Indians, James W. Marshall discovered gold on January 24, 1848, in the tailrace of Sutter's sawmill. The old Coloma Road, opened in 1847 from Sutter's Fort to Coloma, was used by Marshall to carry the news of the discovery to Captain John A. Sutter. During the gold rush, it was used by thousands of miners going to and from the diggings. In 1849 it became the route of California's first stage line, established by James E. Birch.
California Registered Historic Landmark No. 748
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission
In cooperation with the Golden Key of Greenwood,
El Dorado County Chamber of Commerce,
And the Grand Parlors of the Native Sons and Native Daughters of the Golden West,
August 14, 1960.
The Coloma Road is also California Historical Landmark 747.