California Historical Landmarks in El Dorado County
California Historical Landmark 747
4222 Green Valley Road
Past this point on the Old Coloma Road, running between Sutter's Fort and his sawmill on the American river, James W. Marshall rode with the first gold discovered at Coloma on January 24, 1848. Traveled by thousands to and from the diggings, this road became the route of California's earliest stageline, established in 1849 by James E. Birch.
California Registered Historic Landmark No. 747
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission
In cooperation with the Golden Key of Greenwood,
El Dorado County Chamber of Commerce,
And the Grand Parlors, Native Sons and Native Daughters of the Golden West,
August 14, 1960.
The Coloma Road is also California Historical Landmark 748.