National Register of Historic Places in Placer County
The first library in Roseville was a reading which opened in 1906 as an alternative to saloons for the many young men who arrived when the Southern Pacific Railroad established Roseville as a division point. In 1912, the reading room was replaced by a Carnegie Library.
A marker on the base of the flagpole reads:
Roseville Historical Society Marker No. 1
Concerned by the lack of adequate library facilities in 1910, the Women's Improvement Club convinced the City Board of Trustees to contribute $2,000 and to apply to Andrew Carnegie for a $10,000 grant which they received on April 25, 1911. The land for the building was donated by local businessman A. B. McRae. The library was dedicated on October 12, 1912 and served the citizens of Roseville as a library and meeting place until November 7, 1982.
The Roseville Historical Society and the City of Roseville has [sic] restored and preserved this building for the continued use by the citizens of Roseville.
Rededicated October 12, 1988
Carnegie Free Libraries in San Francisco
Some Other Carnegie Free Libraries in California
Alameda, Bayliss, Biggs, Colusa, Corning, Eureka, Ferndale, Gilroy, Grass Valley, Gridley, Hanford, Healdsburg, Hollister, Lincoln. Livermore, Lompoc, Nevada City, Orland, Oroville, Oxnard, Paso Robles, Patterson, Petaluma, Riverbank, Roseville, Sacramento, San Luis Obispo Santa Cruz, Sonoma, South San Francisco, St. Helena, Turlock, Willits, Willows, Woodland, Yolo, Yreka
For more information about these and other Carnegie Free Libraries, visit the website Carnegie Libraries of California.