National Register of Historic Places in Churchill County
Located eighteen miles east of the Lake Lahontan Dam and Recreational Area, the City of Fallon is known as the "Oasis of Nevada", and is recognized state-wide for its agricultural achievements.
Selected as the Churchill County Seat in 1903, Fallon was incorporated in 1908, and the rural municipality has grown from a population of 350 in 1905 to a present-day (1990) population of 6,200. Fallon developed commercially at the intersection of Williams and Maine Streets, (present-day Highways 50 and 95) and spread out residentially to the southeast and southwest of these crossroads.
The Oats Park Addition, comprising a square area incorporating sixteen city blocks, is one of the prominent developments of the eastern section of Fallon. At the center of the addition is a ten-acre square which was deeded to the City of Fallon by owner John Oats for park usage in 1909. Today, Oats Park is the site of the city's baseball diamond, swimming pool, and picnic facilities, and serves as the city's primary recreational facility.
The Oats Park Grammar School is centered on a block on the eastern boundary of Oats Park, and faces the northeast corner of the Park. The school was designed in 1914 by prominent Nevada architect Frederick J. DeLongchamps, completed in 1915, and enlarged in 1921 following the DeLongchamps' 1920 proposals for addition.
Source: NRHP Nomination Form
The school is commemorated by Nevada Historical Marker 263, and it houses the Oats Park Arts Center.