National Register of Historic Places in Humboldt County
In 1920, financier Richard Sweasey built Loew's State Theater as a modern playhouse for vaudeville and movies.
On April 5, 1929, "talkies" were shown here for the first time in Humboldt County. When a disastrous fire closed the State Theater five months later, its position as the only venue for "talkies" was eclipsed by the Rialto Theater.
When we photographed the building, it housed the Arkley Center for the Performing Arts.
Adapted from the NRHP Nomination submitted in 2009.