California Historical Landmarks in El Dorado County
California Historical Landmark 700
Nevada House Pony Express Station
6170 Pleasant Valley Road
Trading post, emigrant stop, and mining camp of the 1850s, this became one of the remount stations of the Central Overland Pony Express. Here at the Nevada House on April 13, 1860, pony rider William (Sam) Hamilton changed horses while carrying the first west-bound mail of the Pony Express from St. Joseph, Missouri to Sacramento, California.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 700
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the James W. Marshall Chapter No. 49, E Clampus Vitus, Golden Chain Council of the Mother Lode and the Central Overland Pony Express Trail Association, April 2, 1960.