California Historical Landmarks in El Dorado County
California Historical Landmark 699
Mormon Tavern Pony Express Stop
At this site on the old Clarksville-White Rock Emigrant Road was Mormon Tavern. Constructed in 1849, was enlarged and operated by Franklin Winchell in 1851. A popular stop for teams and stages, it became a remount station of the Central Overland Pony Express. Here on April 4, 1860, pony rider William (Sam) Hamilton changed horses here on the first trip eastward of the Pony Express.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 699
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the James W. Marshall Chapter 49, E Clampus Vitus; Marguerite Parlor No. 12, Native Daughters of the Golden West; and the Central Overland Pony Express Trail Association, April 2, 1960.