National Register of Historic Places in Ventura County
The Glen Tavern Hotel is the only operating hotel in Ventura County that retains its historic appearance from the days of the grand hotels of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Designed by the well known Los Angeles architectural firm of Hunt and Burns, the building is an excellent example of the English Tudor Revival style with Craftsman influences in the interior.
The hotel was built conveniently near the railroad depot and one block from the Main Street business district. Four trains ran daily between San Francisco and Los Angeles bringing a steady stream of guests to the hotel.
Catering not only to businessmen in the oil and citrus industry, the hotel hosted tourists and those who came to Santa Paula to try the healing waters of Sulphur Mountain Hot Springs. Silent movie companies filming in Santa Paula made extensive use of the hotel.
Glen Tavern has remained in constant use as a hotel since it was built in 1911. The federal government leased the hotel during World War II as housing for secretaries who worked at the Port Hueneme Naval Base.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1984.