National Register of Historic Places in Ventura County
There are only two early 20th century commercial brick buildings in Ventura that are virtually unaltered. The Feraud building is one of them.
Beginning in the 1870s, many French, Italians and Germans immigrated to Ventura and established businesses along Main Street. Jules Feraud, a native of France, was one of these new citizens.
By 1903, Feraud owned one of the largest general merchandise stores in Ventura as well as a bakery known for its sourdough French bread. His success led him to replace the woodframe building with this larger, more impressive brick structure.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1986.
When we photographed the building, it was home to Paddy's Bar+Lounge.