National Register of Historic Places in Trinity County
The Helena Historic District, located on the North Fork of the trinity River, is one of the oldest surviving pioneer mining settlements in California.
During the 1850s, Helena became the center of extensive gold mining activities and for over eighty years was the major supply center for mines on the Trinity River and its forks. Until the construction of Highway 299W to Arcata and Eureka in the 1930s, Helena was the end of the wagon road from Weaverville and was a major stopping place for miners and travelers.
The Helena Historic District covers 430 acres with five contributing buildings.
|Name||Year||Address||Remarks||Sort Address||Sort Name|
|Blacksmith Shop||1861||South of Schlomer Brick Building||Built prior to 1861. Only the foundations survive.||A06||Blacksmith Shop|
|Currie Cottage||1859||Oldest surviving pioneer cottage in Helena.||A07||Currie Cottage|
|Helena Cemetery||1860||Date back to the 1860's.||A00||Helena Cemetery|
|Meckel Barn||1860||Built in 1860's.||A04||Meckel Barn|
|Meckel Brewery||1861||North of Schlomer Brick Building||Built prior to 1861. Only a retaining wall and foundations survive.||A05||Meckel Brewery|
|Meckel Store||1858||Restored in 1976 with funds from the California Department of Parks and Recreation. Leased to the federal government for use as a Post Office.||A01||Meckel Store|
|Schlomer Brick Building||1859||Also known as the "Brewery Building."||A02||Schlomer Brick Building|
|Schlomer Feed Stable||1860||Built in 1860's.||A03||Schlomer Feed Stable|