National Register of Historic Places in Trinity County
The Bowerman Barn and surrounding land were acquired by the Forest Service in 1974. A wooden plaque at the site reads:
The Bowerman Barn
This barn was built by the Bowerman family in 1878 as part of their ranch operation. Much of the barn was handcrafted and it serves as a fine example of the skills of that time.
The Bowermans are an early pioneer family in Trinity County. Jacob Bowerman came to the area seeking gold in 1856 and stayed to become a rancher.
The ranch house was just across the road but it was destroyed by fire. This used to be the main road between Weaverville and Trinity Center. The ranch served as a stage stop for weary travelers.