National Register of Historic Places in Solano County, California
Benicia Arsenal covers 440 acres containg 23 contributing buildings. In the 112 years of its existence, it played a major role in United States military installations and in the development of the Western frontier.
Benicia Arsenal began on April 9, 1849, when two companies of the 2nd Infantry set up camp to establish Benicia Barracks.
Benicia Arsenal is also California Landmark 176.
|Name||Year||Address||Remarks||Sort Address||Sort Name|
|Post Hospital||1856||Building 1||First United States military hospital on the Pacific Coast.||B01||Post Hospital|
|Magazine||1855||Building 2||Storehouse for gun powder.||B02||Magazine|
|Camel Barn||1854||Building 7||Constructed as a storehouse. Converted in 1863 to stable a herd of camels imported from the Near East in 1856 as an experiment in the transportation of military supplies across the Southwest desert states. Their use proved to be unsatisfactory. In 1863 they were driven to Benicia Arsenal for disposal at public auction on February 26, 1864.||B07||Camel Barn|
|Ammunition Shop||1856||Building 8||B08||Ammunition Shop|
|Camel Barn||1855||Building 9||Following the departure of the camels the building was again used as a storehouse. Currently occupied by a wallpaper manufacturing firm.||B09||Camel Barn|
|Powder Magazine||1857||Building 10||B10||Powder Magazine|
|Noncommissioned Officers' Quarters||1868||Building 24||B24||Noncommissioned Officers' Quarters|
|Officers' Quarters Duplex||1874||Buildings 25 & 26||B25||Officers' Quarters Duplex|
|Officers' Quarters||1861||Building 27||B27||Officers' Quarters|
|Commanding Officer's Home||1860||Building 28||B28||Commanding Officer's Home|
|Storehouse (Clock Tower)||1859||Building 29||First United States military fortress built in the West. Originally three stories with a crenelated roof and two look-out towers. Apertures were designed for howitzers and long loophole windows for musketry. Gutted by fire and explosion in 1912. Restored as a two story building. Large American-made Seth Thomas clock installed on undamaged front tower. Clock was operated by a heavy metal weight on a cable that slowly unwound on a windlass. A crank was used to wind the cable weekly. It was operative as late as June 14, 1967. During its long history, the fortress served as a storehouse, a munitions depot, quarters for enlisted men during the Civil War, a chapel and a National Guard Armory.||B29||Storehouse (Clock Tower)|
|Noncommissioned Officers' Quarters||1870||Building 33||B33||Noncommissioned Officers' Quarters|
|Noncommissioned Officers' Quarters||1870||Building 34||B34||Noncommissioned Officers' Quarters|
|Noncommissioned Officers' Quarters||1870||Building 35||B35||Noncommissioned Officers' Quarters|
|Headquarters Building||1870||Building 47||B47||Headquarters Building|
|Blacksmith Shop||1876||Building 55||B55||Blacksmith Shop|