California Historical Landmarks in Solano County
California Historical Landmark 177
Benicia Barracks Site
711 Hillcrest Avenue
Francesca Terrace Park
Benicia Barracks, established on April 30, 1849 and organized by Brevet Lt. Col. Silas Casey, 2nd U.S. Infantry, was the U.S. Army headquarters for the Department of the Pacific from 1851-1857. Also known as the 'Post near Benicia,' it remained a garrison installation until 1898. The post hospital, built in 1856, is the only remaining structure associated with the original Barracks. The Barracks became part of the Benicia Arsenal, which closed in 1964.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 177
Plaque placed by the Sate Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the city of Benicia and the Benicia Historical Society, November 4, 1982, in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the landmark program.