National Register of Historic Places in Solano County, California
23 November 2010
(Click Photo to Zoom)
In September 1854, Mare Island Naval Shipyard became the U.S. Navy's first permanent installation on the Pacific coast.
The yard is situated on what is now a peninsula bounded by the Napa River and Mare Island Strait on the east, Carquinez Strait on the south, and San Pablo Bay on the west. Mare Island Naval Shipyard symbolized United States expansionism into California, the West, and throughout the Pacific.
During the yard's 142-year history, the Navy underwent many changes, including passing from the use of sails to the use of coal, oil, and finally nuclear power to propel its vessels. Mare Island has remained continually active through this transition and contributed significantly to naval progress.
Until 1891 the yard had the only U.S. ship repair facilities on the west coast. In addition Mare Island Naval Shipyard built the first U.S. warship (1859) and the first drydock (1872-1891) constructed on the Pacific shore, converted a coal-burning vessel into the Navy's first oil-burning ship (1905-19088), and built the only U.S. battleship ever fabricated on the west coast (1916-1919).
The yard built nearly four hundred ships during World War II. After 1958, it built seventeen nuclear submarines.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination
Mare Island Naval Shipyard was identified for closure during the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) process of 1993. Naval operations ceased and the facility was decommissioned on April 1, 1996.
Numerous commercial and industrial businesses are currently leasing property aboard the former naval shipyard. In May 2000, the Navy completed the transfer of a former housing area called Roosevelt Terrace. The Navy is also transferring property at the shipyard to other government agencies such as the Fish and Wildlife Service, the Forest Service, the Army Reserve, the Coast Guard, and the Department of Education.
Mare Island Naval Shipyard is a National Historic Landmark. The boundaries of the landmark were expanded in 1996.
|Name||Year||Address||Remarks||Sort Address||Sort Name|
|Smithery||1854||Area A - Building 46||A046||Smithery|
|Structural Shop||1854||Area A - Building 51||Constructed between 1854 and 1857||A051||Structural Shop|
|Pattern Shop||1854||Area A - Building 53||Constructed between 1854 and 1857||A053||Pattern Shop|
|Sail Loft||1854||Area A - Building 55||Constructed between 1854 and 1857||A055||Sail Loft|
|Steam Engineering Complex and Foundry||1858||Area A - Buildings 85, 87, 89||A085||Steam Engineering Complex and Foundry|
|Supply Warehouse||1869||Area A - Building 69||A069||Supply Warehouse|
|Coal Sheds||1900||Area A - Buildings 141, 143, 145, 147, 149, 151, 153, 155, 163||A141||Coal Sheds|
|Drydock 1||1872||Area A||First United States drydock on Pacific coast. Built 1872-1891.||A001||Drydock 1|
|Administration Building||1855||Area A - Building 47||A047||Administration Building|
|Officers' Quarters||1900||Area A - Buildings A-L||Two-story, white-painted, stucco-covered residences on Walnut Avenue.||A00A||Officers' Quarters|
|Saint Peter's Chapel||1900||Area A - Building 104||Second chapel built on Navy property. Only the original chapel at Annapolis preceded it.||A104||Saint Peter's Chapel|
|Stone Magazines||1857||Area B - Buildings A-1, A-4, A-20||Built between 1857 and 1864 from stone brought around South America as ballast.||B001||Stone Magazines|
|Brick Magazines||1890||Area B - Buildings A-3, A-5, A-6, A-11||Built in 1890s.||B003||Brick Magazines|
|Base Cemetery||1856||Area B||Established in 1856, the cemetery now contains approximately 900 graves, including those of several flag officers, Francis Scott Key's daughter Anna Turner, and Russian, French, British, and Dutch sailors whose ships called at Mare Island in the 19th cent||B000||Base Cemetery|
|Hospital||1889||Area C - Building H-1||First U.S. naval hospital on the west coast.||C0H1||Hospital|
|Stables||1854||Area C - Building 88||Built sometime between 1854 and 1860.||C088||Stables|
|Marine Officers' Quarters||1871||Area C - Building M-1||C0M1||Marine Officers' Quarters|
|Officers' Quarters||1888||Area D - Buildings M-2, M-3, M-4, M-5||D000||Officers' Quarters|