National Register of Historic Places in Siskiyou County
James E. Thomas constructed this building in the Greek Revival style with influences from the Federal style popular in the early 1800's.
Originally, it was a stage stop and hotel on the California-Oregon Stage Road.
In 1858, it became the United States Post Office when Fort Jones was still known by its Indian name, Ottitiewa.
In 1878, it was remodeled by Louis Heller for use as a photography studio.A plaque mounted on the front of the building reads: "Fort Jones House"
During the early 1850's, this site on the California-Oregon Trail served as a stage stop, hotel and pleasure-house frequented by the soldiers of the fort. Also used for the Ottitiewa Post Office. Rusticated wood added later in the century.
Dedicated by the Humbug Chapter No. 73
E Clampus Vitus
On December 6, 1975