California Landmarks in Shasta County
California Landmark 555
Highway 299 PM 91.3 Near Long Street
Fall River Mills
Established by Samuel Lockhart in 1856 as a link in the first wagon road from Yreka to Red Bluff, the Lockhart Ferry crossed below the confluence of the Fall and Pit Rivers near this spot. After a massacre in December 1856, the ferry was reestablished in 1857 below Fall River Falls.
Registered Landmark No.555
Plaque placed August 5, 1956 by California State Park Commision in cooperation with Fort Crook Historical Society