California Landmarks in Shasta County
California Landmark 759
First School in Fall River Valley
Highway 299 at PM 99.0
East of McArthur
In 1868, near this spot, the first school in Fall River Valley was built. The building was of log construction,20 feet by 30 feet, with no floor or windows. About 1870 the first sawmill in the valley was built at Dana where lumber was obtained to floor the school house and build school desks.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 759
Plaque placed by the State Park Commission in cooperation with the Fall River Teachers' Association and the Fort Crook Historical Society, May 30, 1961.