California Landmarks in Shasta County
California Landmark 120
Dersch Road at Bear Creek
East of Anderson
Here in 1850 "Doc" Baker established a stopping place for emigrants on what became known as the Nobles Trails. George and Anna Maria Dersch bought out Baker and homesteaded the land in 1861. Tenants of the Dersches were responsible for whipping three Indian laborers working on the potato harvest at the ranch. As a result of this incident, Indians raided the property in 1866, fatally wounding Mrs. Dersch. In retaliation, a posse was formed and killed most of the Indians at their Dye Creek Camp.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 120
First registered March 31, 1933. Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Shasta Historical Society, Hollis Moss Historical Fund, and Trinitarianus Chapter #62, E Clampus Vitus, May 15, 1999.