San Francisco Points of Interest
Albert Pissis designed this building for the White House Department Store to replace a building which had been destroyed bu the 1906 Earthquake and Fire. The store dated back to 1854 when it was the first department store in San Francisco, doing business as Davidson & Lane.
The White House occupied the building until the store went out of business in 1965. A few years later, the building was converted into a parking garage.
In 1997, after renovating the first floor, Banana Republic opened its flagship store here.
Banana Republic left in 2023 as part of a massive retail flight from the downward spiral of the Union Square shopping district.