National Register of Historic Places in San Francisco
The Nimitz House, officially named Quarters 1, is a Classical Revival woodframe rectangular house of 5,886 square feet. A greensward sweeps down the hill from the house, and formal gardens are built into the hillside behind the house. The main rooms have handsome Classical detail and other features such as Ionic Columns. Quarters 1 is in good condition and retains its historic architectural integrity.
Quarters 1 was built as part of the initial wave of building construction that established the Naval Training Station, on what was then known as Goat Island, as an active base between 1900 and 1923. The first barracks and the Commander's Quarters were completed in 1900.
Admiral Chester Nimitz, Commander of the U.S. Pacific Fleet during WWII, had full use of Quarters 1 from 1946 and died there in 1966, but his principal residence was in the East Bay.
Points of interest on Yerba Buena Island and Treasure Island: