California Historical Landmarks in Santa Barbara County
California Historical Landmark 636
Site of Royal Spanish Presidio of Santa Barbara
123 East Canon Perdido Street
This presidio was established under orders of King Carlos III April 19-21, 1782, by Governor Felipe de Neve, Padre Junípero Serra, and Lieutenant José Francisco Ortega, to provide the benefits of government for the inhabitants of the Santa Barbara Channel region of California.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 636
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the City of Santa Barbara, the Grand Parlors of the Native Daughters and Native Sons of the Golden West, the Santa Barbara Historical Society and the Boy Scouts of America. June 18, 1958.
The Royal Spanish Presidio of Santa Barbara is National Register listing #73000455.