California Historical Landmarks in Santa Barbara County
California Historical Landmark 582
Oil Well Hill 4
Unpaved Road off Rucker Road
This well, spudded September 26, 1905, and completed April 30, 1906, is the first oil well in which a water shutoff was attained by pumping cement through the tubing and back of the casing-forerunner of the modern cementing technique. It was drilled to a depth of 2,507 feet by Union Oil Company of California, 1,872 feet of 10-inch casing and 2,237 feet of 8-inch casing were so securely cemented off that the well produced for over forty-five years.
Citation from California Office of Historic Preservation