California Historical Landmarks in San Diego County
California Historical Landmark 51
Old Point Loma Lighthouse
Cabrillo National Monument On Point Loma
This lighthouse, built in 1854, was one of the first eight lighthouses on the Pacific Coast. It continued in use until 1891, when the new Pelican Point Lighthouse began operating. The Point Loma Lighthouse became the site of the Cabrillo National Monument in 1913. During World War II, the Navy used it as a signal tower. Restored by the National Park Service in 1984, it remainsa as a reminder of contribution of 19th century lighthouse keepers and their families to California's maritime past.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 51
Originally registered December 6, 1932. Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the National Park Service and Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus, April 16, 1988.
Old Point Loma Lighthouse is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.