Point of Historic Interest in San Diego County
New Point Loma Lighthouse was built in 1891 to replace Old Point Loma Lighthouse which, at an elevation of four hundred feet atop the cliffs of Point Loma, was often obscured by fog.
The structure is the only one of its kind remaining on the West Coast. It is very similar to Coney Island Light, Plum Island Range Rear Light, La Pointe Light and Duluth South Breakwater Inner Light, all of which were built at about the same time.
The light was automated in 1973.
Source: Adapted from Wikipedia.