National Register of Historic Places in San Diego County
The Old Point Loma Lighthouse, a Cape Cod structure built by a crew from the eastern United States, was the first lighthouse in the Port of San Diego. Located at the end of the Point Loma peninsula, it guided ships along the coast of California and into San Diego harbor from 1855 to 1891. It was one of the first eight lighthouses built on the Pacific Coast of the United States.
The location of the lighthouse proved problematic. Fog and low clouds often obscured the beam. On March 23, 1891, the keeper extinguished the lamp for the last time and moved his family and belongings into a new light station at the bottom of the hill.
Today, the Old Point Loma Lighthouse is a symbol of the City of San Diego and one of the most prominent features of Cabrillo National Monument. The view from the lighthouse has been rated one of the three great harbor views in the world, taking in a vast panorama of sea, islands, coast, harbor, land and mountains.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1974
Old Point Loma Lighthouse is also California Historical Landmark 51.