California Historical Landmarks in San Diego County
California Historical Landmark 50
Ballast Point Whaling Station Site
South End of Rosecrans Street
Late in 1857, the three Johnson brothers and the twin Packard brothers came to this site to survey possibilities for a station to 'try out' or extract whale oil. Their operations began the next year. In 1869 the U.S. Government acquired the property for Fort Rosecrans and in 1873 whaling operations at Ballast Point ended.
Citation from California Office of Historic Preservation
Because this historical marker is located on Naval Base Point Loma, it is not accessible to the public.