National Register of Historic Places in Jackson County
This Colonial Revival style house was built in 1905 for Edgar F. Hafer, president and general manager of the Crater Lake Lumber Company. The house originally had a foursquare, Craftsman quality, but with fine detailing in the classical vein. It may be the oldest documented example of Colonial Revival architecture in Medford.
In 1920, John A. Perl, an undertaker, acquired the building. Perl and his son, Frank, conducted the family business here until 1973.
To adapt the residence to its use as a funeral parlor with living accommodations on the second floor, Perl engaged leading Medford architect Frank C. Clark, who, being well acquainted with the Colonial idiom, enclosed the front porch and added features on the east and north which were consistent with original treatment.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1983.
When we photographed the building in 2006, it housed the office of St. Mark's Episcopal Church.