National Register of Historic Places in Jackson County
Dr. Pickel's rental house was constructed in 1900 by an unknown architect and builder. The design was most likely derived from a pattern book.
It is one of the four oldest houses now standing along the major thoroughfare within the city limits. Most of the neighboring houses on side streets are one or one-and-a-half story bungalows post-dating 1910.
A plain, but nonetheless dignified vernacular residence, the Pickel Rental House displays ornament in the Eastlake tradition, including scalloped and pierced brackets and a second story tabernacle window framement incorporating appliqued stick work.
The vertical proportions of its main volume and its steeply pitched roof are related to buildings in the Rural Gothic Style. The building's prominence on the thoroughfare is heightened by its terraced site, which is about five feet above street grade and retained by a wall of river-washed boulders which appears to have been added in the Bungalow Era.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1982.