National Register of Historic Places in Jackson County
The Eddings-Provost House was built for prosperous hardware merchant George C. Eddings from plans provided by local carpenter-builder James Morris. Within five years of its construction, the house was acquired by H. B. Provost, a Canadian, who was Eddings successor in the hardware business and who became an officer of the Ashland Iron Works and town mayor.
The neighboring houses, including the H. B. Carter House, are mutually supportive, visually and historically. They are among the first houses built in the Summit Addition neighborhood after the extension of the Oregon and California Railroad to Ashland which brought hundreds of new residents.
During the first week of 1889, the local paper reported:
There is not an empty dwelling or business house in Ashland and a number of families who came to spend the winter have been obliged to move to other places in the valley.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1980.