National Register of Historic Places in Jackson County
The Carter House, built in 1888, is representative of eclectic late 19th century architecture in which several styles were often combined in a single building. Here the styles are Queen Anne and Stick.
H. B. Carter and his wife, both of New England ancestry, moved to Ashland in 1884. Carter was one of the most prominent men in town. He founded the bank, planted orchards, and was a prime mover in establishing the Ashland Electric Light and Power Company.
On September 29, 1888, the Ashland Tidings proclaimed that the new building was the most elaborate in Ashland. The property remained in the Carter Estate at least through 1920.
The dependency seen in the photograph is contemporary and was built in conjunction with a renovation of the main house.