National Register of Historic Places in Jackson County
The White House, located on the old pack train and stage route through the Rogue River Valley, was built in 1859 for John B. White who was the townsite proprietor, storekeeper and postmaster. It is the oldest dwelling remaining in the settlement established during local gold excitement in the mid-1850s.
Rock Point, situated on the Rogue River between the later communities of Rogue River and Gold Hill, began as a way-station for packers and miners. Later it was a waypoint for travelers on the main stage route between Jacksonville and the Willamette Valley. After 1883, it was a stop on the Southern Pacific Railroad.
At the height of its historic period, in the 1880s, Rock Point boasted a store, hotel, livery stable, blacksmith shop, saloon, post office, schoolhouse, and telegraph office.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1978.