National Register of Historic Places in Jackson County
A plaque on the building reads:
Rock Point Hotel
Stage Stop and Telegraph Office
J. B. White founded the small Community of Rock Point in the early 1850's. John fought in the Rouge [sic] Indian Wars. In exchange for his service he received land, and developed a homestead on the north side of the stage road. The land was sold to L. J. White.
In 1864 L. J. White began construction on the Rock Point Hotel. February 8, 1865 the hotel was open to the public with a Grand Ball. In the hotel L. J. established one of the first telegraph stations in the area.
The record books from the stage company verify the regular use of the Rock Point Hotel as a stage stop. But, [by] the turn of the century the hotel had closed. Henry White, son of L. J. returned to farming.
Today the building houses the Del Rio Winery tasting room.
Dedicated April 2007
By Umpqua Joe 1859 Outpost of Humbug Chapter 73
E Clampus Vitus