National Register of Historic Places in Jackson County
The Classic Revival house of Patrick F. McManus is one of the oldest structures in the town of Phoenix and one of the very earliest buildings in the Rogue River Valley.
Patrick McManus was an Irish immigrant who arrived in Southern Oregon in the early 1850s and established the first mercantile enterprise in Gasburg which was later renamed Phoenix.
He built his house on a Donation Land Claim registered to an acquaintance, Samuel Colver. McManus did not receive title to the claim until 1864 at which time he had already moved to Yreka, California, where he remained for the rest of his life.
The second owner of the property was Maria Colver, widowed sister-in-law of Samuel Colver. McManus deeded the property to her in 1864, two days after he had received title.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1978.