National Register of Historic Places in Jackson County
Eagle Point was first settled in 1851, but the town was abandoned the next year due to Indian conflicts.
In 1872, a post office was established, along with a hotel, several blacksmith shops, a general store, a merchandise store and a warehouse.
In July of 1872, construction began on the mill. The building was situated on a fairly steep bank on the west side of Butte Creek. An old irrigation ditch on the site that was dug deeper by horse and hand labor.
The original mill was a four stories: a daylight basement, a main floor with the grinding mill and shop, and two upper floors for storage.
As it stands, the main structure is essentially in original condition with only a few minor changes.
Butte Creek Mill is one of two remaining water-powered mills in Oregon and is the only mill that grinds flour.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1976.
Early on Christmas morning in 2015, Butte Creek Mill was almost totally destroyed by fire except for the basement where the mill stones and grinding machinery were located.
The owner plans to rebuild. You can help by making a donation to the Butte Creek Mill Foundation.