National Register of Historic Places in Washoe County
Charles H. Burke (1865-1944) immigrated from Liverpool, England, to Reno via Los Angeles around 1890.
He worked as a blacksmith in downtown Reno before entering the real estate business in the first decade of the 20th century. He developed Burke's Survey in 1902 and Burke's Addition in 1907, both in southeast Reno at a time when most development was north of the Truckee River.
The Burke House is an excellent example of an early 20th century residence employing materials, massing and details of the Queen Anne and Colonial Revival styles. Burke himself designed and built the house, the best of the few of its type and style remaining anywhere in Reno.
When we photographed the building in March of 2016, it housed law offices.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP Nomination Form submitted in 1984.