National Register of Historic Places in Napa County
The Lisbon Winery is a two story rectangular stone building constructed of cut native stone quarried in the hills east of the City of Napa. The structure is 90 feet long, 45 feet wide and 25 feet high with walls two feet thick. It was built adjoining an earlier sherry cellar. The winery was constructed under the direction of its owner, J. A. Mathews, who was born in Lisbon, Portugal.
The Lisbon Winery is the only winery remaining the City of Napa. Virtually intact in its original design features, it is reminiscent of the 1880s when Napa County was at the height of its viticultural period and a half dozen wineries, of brick and stone, were operating within the City of Napa.
The simple rectangular industrial warehouse style of architecture as seen in the Lisbon Winery is one of two prevalent styles for wineries in Napa County in the late 19th century. The second style, the three level gravity flow hillside winery, is more commonly found in the countryside. Examples of gravity flow wineries are Trefethen, Far Niente, Inglenook and Christian Brothers.
The prominent role Mathews played in the sherry and wine trade reflects his ethnic background and the significant role in the industry of many Swiss, French, German, Italian and Portuguese immigrants in Napa County.
The Lisbon Winery is in a transition zone between commercial and residential neighborhoods. It has retained the original open plaza in front, an important asset in maintaining a semblance of the early setting.
Source: NRHP nomination form.
Prohibition forced the winery to close for many years. 1946 John Carbone purchased the site and resumed wine making. The winery continued in operation until 1976 when the building became a storage facility.
Since 1995, the old winery has been the home of the Jarvis Conservatory which sponsors workshops and performances including Zarzuela, Baroque ballet, and puppetry.